Understanding the credit dispute process and staying organized are key to successfully disputing inaccuracies on your credit report. ScoreSense® credit specialists can help you navigate the dispute process.
Here are a few tips to help you through the dispute process.
- When you mail a dispute or supporting documentation to the credit reporting agencies, use certified mail, and request a return receipt. This allows you to track your correspondence and create a paper trail.
- Never send original documents to the reporting agencies, only copies.
- Keep a folder that includes printouts of all documents related to your dispute (credit card statements, copy of your credit report, and confirmation of the filed dispute, for example). Staying organized will help the dispute process go as smoothly as possible.
- In most situations, credit reporting agencies are required by law to investigate and respond to your dispute within 30 days; in certain situations the deadline is 45 days.
- If the error in dispute is related to an account, the reporting agency will contact the relevant information provider (like your creditor or lender). The information provider will then investigate for accuracy and respond to the credit reporting agency. For this reason, you should also contact your creditor or lender about account-related errors in addition to filing a dispute with the reporting agency.
- The credit reporting agency will communicate the results of the investigation, usually via email. Make sure you check your e-mail junk mail folder for a response from the reporting agency. If the reporting agency hasn’t communicated with you within 45 days of filing your dispute, contact the reporting agency by phone.
- The credit reporting agency will update your records based on the results of its investigation and should provide you with an updated version of your credit report.
ScoreSense give you unlimited access to all three credit scores, reports and monthly updates from TransUnion, Equifax and Experian; and alerts that inform you of key changes to your report in one convenient place.